Monday, February 25, 2013

Zebras Can Change Their Stripes


The other day I was thinking about the phrase people use: "zebras can't change their stripes." Most of the time I feel we use this as an excuse for why we don't improve ourselves and work to be a better person. We tell ourselves "well I can't change my stripes, so why even try?" But really, we can!

I have an obsession with zebra stripes. I'm not quite sure where or how it started. I think it was early on in my mission when I saw that one of my teaching companions had zebra striped sheets. And it was all downhill from there. I love the pattern so much and have shoes, scarves, bags, and whatever I can find that has zebra stripes on it.


Recently my mission president said "This is the Gospel of change!" That got me so excited! It really is! Through Jesus Christ we can change! We can become more! And zebras really can change their stripes. The Atonement is for everyone. President David O. McKay said “The purpose of the gospel is … to make bad men good and good men better, and to change human nature.” CHANGE! Oh how I love that word. It sounds so attainable. There is a magic word that is described as so in the Bible Dictionary, "The Greek word of which this is the translation denotes a change of mind, i.e., a fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world." That sounds so easy! Well that word is Repentance. Something that greatly intimidates many of us. It seems like such an insurmountable task sometimes. Some may feel that they just can't make all the changes necessary. I used to feel that way, it wasn't until I found this explanation of repentance that I realized that I could do it and it wouldn't hurt too much.

A change of heart is a powerful thing. It means more than just quitting whatever we are doing. It means that we come to realize how wrong that thing is. We desire to be more, we desire to change. There is a group of people in the Book of Mormon that show that change. Of their experience it states "And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God..." (Mosiah 4:2) These people desired to be purified and change. We can all do this!

I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that we really can change! I have personally been changed so much by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It blesses my life every day. I get to be in the business of change helping others see that it is possible for them to be more than they are now. Zebras really can change their stripes.

4 comments:

  1. Love, Love LOVE!!! Such a powerful message. I believe in change and believe that what you said about Atonement, that through Christ, we can do what others see as impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so true although change can be tough it is
    Possibly if we want this
    I know this gospel to be truth and I testify by my experiences from the Holy Spirit himself who told me this us the true gospel -
    I love you all and thank you for your words of wisdom
    Kimy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Change is one of those things that seems scary but is necessary for progression. In the very next chapter in Mosiah (ch. 5 vs 2) we read more about King Benjamin's people, "And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually."

    When our hearts change, we change.

    ReplyDelete